Forums » Holiday Accommodation

We go back home after we score on

• 448 posts
    January 7, 2020 6:01 AM MSK

MINSK, Belarus -- Defending champion Sweden made the first step in its title defence with a 3-0 victory over Denmark at the ice hockey world championship on Saturday. Fake Yeezy 700 Magnet . Calgary Flames forward Mikael Backlund scored twice in the opening period when the Swedes displayed fast, well organized play that was tough for Denmark to match. "It was nice to have a few goals right away, keep the pressure off and the nerves away," Backlund said. Another Scandinavian superpower, Finland, began its campaign with an upset 3-2 loss to Latvia and Norway blanked Italy 3-0 while Germany prevailed in a shootout to beat Kazakhstan 2-1. Backlund scored his first for Sweden when defenceman Markus Lauridsen deflected his shot to the net with his skate and struck again by precisely directing Joakim Lindstroms slap shot. Detroit Red Wings forward Gustav Nyquist added the third on a solo effort after intercepting a pass. "Once we got up two to nothing we stopped taking the puck to the net," Nyquist said. "We tried to make too many passes instead of shooting the puck." Latvia failed to capitalize on its second-period power plays when a total of seven Finns were in the penalty box. Finland used its only power play in that period to go 2-1 up with a goal by Petri Kontiola. Kristaps Sotnieks tied the match for Latvia -- the quarterfinalist in the Sochi Winter Olympics -- in the third before Arturs Kulda netted the winner on a power play. It was the first victory for Latvia over Finland at the worlds. Thomas Oppenheimer scored the decisive goal in the shootout to give Germany the win. Germany outshot its opponent 47-20 but Kazakhstan went ahead 1-0 after a goal from Andrei Gavrilin. The Germans answered through Matthias Plachta at the end of the first period. "I have to look at the positive," German coach Pat Cortina said. "We put the puck to the net and that is extremely important for our team." Niklas Roest opened the scoring in the first period for Norway, Morten Ask made it 2-0 midway through the game and captain Anders Bastiansen rounded off the victory on a breakaway in the third. "I tried to shoot early to surprise the goalie and it went in, so I was really happy," Bastiansen said. "We did a good job. We won and thats the most important thing." Goaltender Lars Haugen made 15 saves for the shutout, but needed help from his posts on two shots by defenceman Daniel Sullivan in the second. "We had a little difficulty in the beginning, adjusting to the speed," Italy coach Tom Pokel said. "However, as the game went on we got better and better. So it was a good game for us." Italy and Kazakhstan are both newcomers to the top division this year. Later Saturday, Canada hopes to rebound from Fridays 3-2 loss to France with a win against Slovakia, while the United States faces Switzerland a day after it routed host Belarus 6-1. Cheap Yeezy 700 Inertia . If Vettel wins at Suzuka on Sunday, and his nearest rival Fernando Alonso finishes worse than eighth, the German driver will join his compatriot Michael Schumacher and Argentine Juan-Manuel Fangio as the only men to win four consecutive titles. Fake Yeezy 700 Teal Blue . The team announced the moves before Sundays game against Houston. Shaw was 1-4 with a 4.26 ERA in 43 games for the Diamondbacks. Bergesen was claimed off waivers from Baltimore on Friday.ST. LOUIS - Brian Elliott was a big Toronto Maple Leafs fan while growing up in Ontario. So the St. Louis Blues goalie got a little extra satisfaction out of shutting them out.Elliott stopped 27 shots for his third shutout of the season and 28th of his career as the Blues topped the slumping Maple Leafs 3-0 on Saturday night.Its awesome, Elliott said. Its all about the two points, but I grew up bleeding blue for the Maple Leafs. Its fun to go out and get a shutout against them for sure.After allowing three goals in each of his last two games, Elliott got back on track with his 19th shutout for the Blues.Blues defenceman Alex Pietrangelo said there was never any doubt about Elliotts play.Weve had no questions inside this room, Pietrangelo said. We know what he can do. Tonights a prime example; outstanding performance by him. I thought we did a great job, too, eliminating second chance opportunities. Hes pushing pucks where they cant get them and were clearing in front of the net.Its a good overall effort defensively.Elliott, who missed nearly five weeks earlier this season with a knee sprain, moved to the top spot in the NHL in goals against average at 1.90 and fourth in save percentage at .929.Blues coach Ken Hitchcock thought Elliott was back at the top of his game.This is, for me, the best hes played, Hitchcock said. Not just because he got a shutout, but this is the best hes played since coming back from the injury, for sure. He had work today because we gave up odd-man rushes. We dont normally do that, but we gave up some.Alexander Steen extended his scoring streak to a career-high nine games with a goal and an assist, and Kevin Shattenkirk and T.J. Oshie also had goals for St. Louis. The win was No. 685 for Hitchcock, who passed former Maple Leafs coach Pat Quinn and moved into sole possession of fifth place on the career victories list.St. Louis is 4-0-1 during its seven-game homestand and has earned a point in eight straight games. The Blues, who have not lost to Toronnto since Jan. Cheap Yeezy 700 Geode. 29, 2008 (6-0-2), are 11-3-2 against Eastern Conference teams, best in the NHL.David Backes added two assists for the Blues, extending his scoring streak to six games. Backes has 13 points in those six games (seven goals, six assists).Jonathan Bernier made 30 saves for the Maple Leafs, who went 0-4 on their four-game road trip and were outscored 12-1, including being shut out three times. The Maple Leafs are 1-7 in January.Its frustrating, Bernier said. We go back home after we score one goal and get no points. I know I have got to be better and make that extra save that keeps us in the game.Toronto got the jump on the Blues, outshooting them 15-6 at the start. But the Blues got the first goal when Shattenkirk got the puck on the right boards, walked into the right circle and beat Bernier with a backhander at 16:40 of the first period.There were some positive things in the first period before they scored that goal, said Toronto interim head coach Peter Horachek. We are a team that has to be at our strongest now. Were going to have to be mentally tougher.It stayed 1-0 until Steen beat Bernier with another backhander from in front 1:38 into the third period.Hes extremely patient as a goalie, and doesnt really bite on a lot of stuff, said Steen, who waited out Bernier and then lifted the puck over him. I was just trying to wait as long as I could.Steen then set up Oshie on a 2-on-1 with 5 minutes left for the final margin.NOTES: Defenceman Roman Polak, who spent eight seasons with the Blues before being traded to Toronto for fellow defenceman Carl Gunnarsson in the off-season, returned to St. Louis for the first time and received a big ovation when announced as a starter before the game. ... The Blues line of Steen, Backes and Oshie has 49 points in the past 11 games. ... Torontos Phil Kessel played in his 410th straight game, which is the fifth-longest current streak. ... St. Louis is 11-0-1 since Jaden Schwartz returned to the lineup. ' ' '